Sunday, October 16, 2011

Artist Feature: Froilan Calayag

I have no words



Guest-starring Nonoy Marcelo's Ikabod




"Chase the Candy" ..One of my favorite Froilan Calayag paintings.. I don't know where it is now.


mmmmm... secretions..

The Artist's Renaissance Influence shows in this painting. I love the presence of water.

"Love Me! Heart Eater"


This is the world I see behind my eyelids.. Where odd creatures exist, and live off each other, and evil is rigid and angular.


Chaos+Color = Fun

I enjoy staring at the transparent, gel-like bear hat on the boy's head.

There's an amphibian called the Surinam Toad that deposits its eggs on the skin of its back. these slowly sink into the skin, creating large holes. In these holes, the eggs hatch and the tadpoles metamorphose inside these holes, emerging as miniature versions of their parents.
Another creature with Surinam Toad features..

Froilan's Prizewinning rendition of Jose Rizal's Terra Cotta Sculpture

Makes me want to run, too..

This is an Allusion to something i forgot. sorry.. But isn't it great? "Everything Turns Impressionism When You're Hungry"



The very first Froilan Calayag work i saw online. That moment, he became my favorite Filipino Contemporary artist. Even more so now having seen more of his work and having learned the experiences and emotions behind the layers of paint.

Bosch brews some Angel's Trumpet Tea with the Chapman Brothers

A take on the old fable


Characters come to life and become not just believable but familiar.

Very Deja-Vu for me.. I had one of those magnetic fishing games when I was smaller. I loved how the little fishes would open their mouths then you'd try to get them to latch onto the magnetic "lure". It's a very close simulation of what you feel when fishing for real fish.

Froilan Calayag is Awesome


Photos from: Artist's own Facebook Page, Gallery Bohemia, Tala Gallery, ClicktheCity, Sensico.edu.pe,Flickr, WhenInManila.com, VinylonVinyl and other very forgiving and generous sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment