Monday, September 19, 2011

Featured Artist: Stanley Meltzoff

I love Stanley Meltzoff's oil paintings. They remind me of some of my favorite things: Fishing, Ocean Life, Old Sci-Fi Art, Steampunk, and Adventure. Click on "Read more" to read more :) Enjoy!














































Reminds me a bit of Frank Frazetta. I wish I could paint like them.

Peace

JH

1 comment:

  1. I met Stanley probably some 35-40 years ago. I had recently gotten out of the Marines, where, in the final few months of my 5-year stint, I began to paint.
    Growing up on the East Coast, I was an avid fisherman and surfer, so my favorite subjects were naturally waves and fish. I began to study those artists who concentrated on fish. I wanted to emulate those I thought were the best at their craft. Dolye, Barnes, & Crews, among many others, but in my opinion, Meltzoff was the best-
    by far.
    I went to the sportsman Gallery in NYC where Stanley sold his paintings. I was blown away when seeing his artwork in person. The fish were leaping off the canvas. The water seemed to shimmer, and every, literally every color imaginable was used to create a picture that came alive before your eyes.
    Being in my late twenties, I was hard up for cash, but one work, Permits with Crab (with one of the few frames Stanley made), had a $5K price tag. This I might be able to swing. After pleading with my newlywed wife, she OKed the purchase. I was crushed to learn the $5K was a required down deposit. The other $10K to be paid upon pickup. I left w/o the painting-a regret I carry to this day.
    A few yrs later, I discovered Stanley lived in Red Bank, NJ, about a two-hour ride north from my Ocean City. I called him, told him how I loved his artwork, and asked if I could come meet him and see his studio. He was very genial and said, of course.
    The next day I took the drive. He answered the door, invited me in, and showed me to his studio, which was a very large room in the rear of his house. The studio had ceilings that seemed at least 20 feet high, and while he showed me the painting he was presently working on, a big parrot flew about overhead. I swear I saw a feather in this beautiful piece of art, but either Stanley didn't see it or didn't care, and I was too timid to mention it.
    We then went to the kitchen, shared some tea, at which point he asked if I wanted to see some more of his work. Of course I exclaimed, and I followed him out to a garage where there must have been 20-30, maybe more, originals lining the walls in racks. I told him about my NYC experience, and I suppose feeling a bit sorry for me, said that although his contract with the gallery would frown upon it, he could sell me one of his less expensive pieces, a small bluefish painting, for $3K. It wasn't my favorite, certainly not one of his best, so I declined.
    But before leaving, I grabbed my latest work from my car- a 2x3' striper going for an eel surrounded by jellyfish. I proudly showed him my work, expecting a critique of "Not bad, not too bad at all," but instead, after a brief glance, Stanley turned to me and said, "Don't quit your HS math job."
    With the wind knocked out of my sails, we said our goodbyes and I started my drive home. I was about ready to jump on the NJ Parkway when I pulled over and said to myself. "Just do it. Buy the painting. You'll own a Meltzoff."
    I did a U-turn and was knocking on the Meltzoffs ' door again. But no answer. I opened the unlocked door and called his name. No answer. I walked back to the garage, one full of thousands of dollars' worth of art. Still no Stanley. Apparently he had left, and left everything wide open. I had my choice of Meltzoff's originals sitting before me. But of course I couldn't; I wouldn't. Especially after Mr Meltzoff being such a lovely and generous host. A harsh and blunt critic perhaps, but a gentleman nevertheless.
    It was a visit I'll never forget.

    ReplyDelete