Thursday, April 7, 2011

photo by Phil Oh

Japanese food isn't all about wagyu eat-till-you-barf, nor the smell of tempura oil vapor that clings to your shirt. It, like other cuisines distorted for mainstream appreciation, is a well balanced collection of simple dishes that are created to have a lingering effect of well being and harmony. 






The zen philosophy of Japanese eating is summarized in the "five attitudes in the partaking of food." from Good Food from a Japanese Temple by Soei Yoneda


  •  I reflect on the work that brings this food before me; let me see whence this food comes.
  •  I reflect on my imperfections, on whether I am deserving of this offering of food.
  •  Let me hold my mind free from preferences and greed.
  •  I take this food as an effective medicine to keep my body in good health.
  •  I accept this food so that I will fulfill my task of enlightenment.

I think our eating habits and the choices we make would change drastically if we abide by these.

I, for one, will try.

Speaking of try.. What kind of lens was used in the photo? I've tried taking table shots with a 50mm prime, but it's so hard to get close to the subject. Any ideas??

1 comment:

  1. I love the zen part. I am a fan of the zen way of living! Anyway, onto the photo. There are many kinds of prime lenses, like 35mm and 85mm. If you have difficulties getting close enough to the subject to take a good photo, I suggest you get an 85mm prime. That should do the trick. Plus it often comes with a whopping f/1.4 or 1.2

    ReplyDelete